- It is the first one to be set up in the Lugo province and it has the capacity to accommodate patients from the whole Galician province.
- This high- resolution hospitalization has a multi-disciplinary team composed of specialists in rehabilitation, neurophysiotherapy, neuropsychology, neuro speech therapy and occupational therapy.
- This service provides 24 hour medical attention to those who have suffered a stroke, need post-covid rehabilitation or after a surgical intervention in order to help them recover.
Lugo, 26, February, 2021. – Ribera Polusa hospital has created an Acquired Brain Damage and Functional Recovery Unit in order to treat patients with neurological injuries that they have suffered after a stroke, as a consequence of Covid or after a surgical intervention in a multi-disciplinary, integrated and intensive way.
The new unit is a pioneer in the Lugo province and has the capacity to accommodate patients from the whole Galician province. It is targeted at functional recovery for those with acquired brain damage and has a multi-disciplinary team composed of specialists in rehabilitation, neurophysiotherapy, neuropsychology, neurospeech therapy and occupational therapy.
The team is supervised by Carlos García Porrúa, the medical director of Ribera Polusa, who has highlighted that the unit has been created to deal with the serious problem that patients face when they have suffered brain damage and they don’t have the independence to return to everyday life. “A neurological injury involves a series of problems that range from those related to motor, language or attention deficit to difficulty feeding oneself or carrying out their own daily activities such as getting dressed or washing themselves ”, he explains.
After the first free assessment consultation, the Unit of Acquired Brain Damage and Functional Recovery’s team design an individualized therapeutic treatment plan, with some short and medium-term objectives to achieve, focused on regaining the patient’s function and independence, with them remaining there for as long as they are recovering.
The individualized therapeutic treatment plan, with 24 hour medical attention, includes daily work sessions in the morning and afternoon with various specialists in order to regain physical mobility, functional, cognitive, sensorial and psychosocial capabilities which limit the patient in day-to-day living. “The program is always adapted to the conditions of the patient and their home environment. We estimate that the improvement may be noticeable within one or two months and, after being discharged, they are then monitored as an outpatient in Polusa’s health centres, with periodic consultations to strengthen that which has been recuperated during their hospital stay”, adds Dr. García Porrúa.
Brain damage can occur after a stroke or a cerebral infarction, due to which an area of the brain is without a blood supply, which entails a series of neurological problems. It also affects those who have suffered a head trauma due to a traffic, domestic, work or sporting accident.
In addition to neurological injuries, the Unit also works on functional recovery for patients after a surgical intervention or for those who suffer consequences after having been seriously affected by Covid.
Technological innovation is present in the Unit through the remote rehabilitation program based on artificial intelligence and tactile technology which allows the patient to incorporate it into their daily routine with maximum clinical safety precautions.
There are 420,000 people with acquired brain damage living in Spain, 35,000 of whom are in Galicia. A recent report by The Spanish Federation for Brain Damage (Fedace) shows that 78% of cases were caused by a stroke and the remaining 22% by head traumas and other causes. Of those affected, 65% are over 65 years o